Monday, November 3, 2008

The Negotiator

I write this entry regarding potty training not becaue I am obsessed with potty training (OK, so I am obsessed with potty training, but that's beside the point).  I write this entry just to show you Todd's skills.

The other day, I was trying to figure out what Ben's currency is right now, what I could use to bribe his stubborn little self to poop on the potty.  I realized that aside from candy, which doesn't work well for me as a currency, Legos are the big thing at our house right now.  So, I asked Ben how he would feel about me buying a Lego set and him earning pieces for using the potty, with a strong emphasis on me not scrubbing any more nasty stuff out of his undies.  He liked the idea. 

Todd, who had been listening in on our conversation, promptly piped up and said, "Maybe we could do an incentive program for me for teasing Ben.  You could give me Legos when I don't tease him and am nice and stuff."  (I'm thinking, "maybe you could just be nice, since you obviously recognize it as a problem.")

But I do have to admit the kid is quick.  Now if we can only steer his negotiating in the right direction. . .

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Heck yeah the kid is quick - like when he talked me into paying him to teach Sofie math!
me: I'll pay you $1 per lesson.

Todd: $2

me: What about $1.25?

Todd: Make it $1.50.

He's going to get a killer deal on a car one day.

candy's clothes closet said...

Maybe the boys could buy you something nice and when you aren't telling someone to lick the toilet you can get some of it. lol You should write a mommy book. Poopie underoos and licking toilets are an excellent read.

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Good luck with your lego bribery! I hope Ben doesn't follow in Lizzie's footsteps . . . though she has gotten several Barbie's out of the long, drawn-out deal :) And Todd's masterful negotiating is a genuine proud moment for all 7year old boys. :)

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map