Since we had school off today in honor of Veteran's Day, we decided to take a drive to Red Rock National Conservation area. We called some friends and turned it into a little group outing. It was exactly what I needed to calm my savage inner beast.
I have been feeling a bit of city claustrophobia lately. It could be that we've actually been in the state of Nevada for 2 straight months now (probably a record since we've lived here) without a trip. It could be that we've been focused on schooling so much that we've neglected other areas of our life. It could be that we live in the middle of a city and it occasionally wears on the psyche. Whatever it was, today was the perfect antidote.
The boys were so happy to climb and climb and climb. I think Todd particularly could have stayed for about five more hours and happily explored those rocks. Ben could have as well, but I don't think I could have handled worrying about him falling for much longer (and I have a very high tolerance for his exploring).
As we were wandering around, I couldn't help but think about a recent address given by Elder David A. Bednar entitled Things As They Really Are . If you haven't read it our heard it, put it on your priority list. He talks specifically about how our bodies are an amazing gift from our Heavenly Father. Then he explains that Satan tries to distract us with all forms of media to minimize the importance of our bodies, to live in a world that isn't real (virtual reality), and to distance ourselves from those things that are real. I thought about what he said not in reference to media, but in relation to my own life. As a mother, I think that I sometimes pour so much of myself into the tasks of caring for my children, my husband, my home, church, meals, laundry, cleaning, schooling, nurturing. . . .and on, and on, and on. And while all these things are good things, sometimes these are the very things that distract me personally from things as they really are. Being outside, close to Heavenly Father's creations, away from the bustle of the city, helped me to refocus my perspective a bit more.

3 comments:
Thank you.
I recently heard a woman say that her mom did really good at keeping the house straight, making sure all the kids had eaten and were out the door for school on time, etc.. but that her mother missed the details. I think that I miss the details sometimes. I get so caught up in the busy things that I forget about the quality things. I have thought about this alot recently.
I will read that talk tonight and think of you!
Post a Comment