Thursday, December 3, 2009

Do you ever?

  • Do you ever feel like life is caving in on you, for no particular reason but just generally?
  • Have you ever broken down and cried hysterically, for no apparant reason, not just once in a week but twice?
  • Do you ever look at other women and wonder what it is they are doing right to be so pulled together and on top of things (and thus what you are doing wrong?)
  • Do you ever live in that awkward coexisting reality where you love being a mother but feel smothered by the responsibilities of mothering?
  • Have you ever misplaced your keys and been on the verge of tears because your family is waiting in the car and your keys are lost and you haven't sat down even once in the day and you don't know if you can do one more thing, let alone remember where several small pieces of metal have lost themselves?
  • Have you ever looked at your life and understood just how amazingly blessed you are, but you still feel ovewhelmed at the things you need to do?

Obviously, I have never felt that way. But if I ever had, this quote from one of my favorite authors (Shannon Hale) that I read on her blog (http://oinks.squeetus.com/) would have brought a little tear to my eye and made me feel just a bit better:

How do I do it all, people often ask. Let me tell you how: today I had my first dental x-rays in probably seven years. About half the meat I buy I end up throwing out because it goes bad before I get a chance to cook it. (Freeze it, you say? Then I'll never defrost it and throw it out after it gets freezer burn.) No one can do it all! I say, we all are capable of doing, say, three things well: I'm one heck of a mother and wife, and I write books. The end.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't know about that quote of hers. Some days, doing three things wells seems overly optimistic (bordering on delusional).

Brooks said...

Sounds like your week was about as good as mine...

... if that ever did happen to you.

Jen said...

I agree with Sarah. Sometimes I wonder if I could find those three things.

If you ever did feel this way, which I know you don't, but if you did, I'm sure you could find a friend to let you know what a great person are, and to hang in there, and if you ever need help with anything (cleaning, talking, projects, really anything) to just give her a call anytime.

Unknown said...

If only I felt confident that I did 3 things well. That would be awesome!

amydear said...

Yep, felt that way. Next week will probably be better, but if not, that's okay too. And I can name at least 7 things you do really well. Let me know if you need me to list them. Kyle and I are tentatively planning a trip to your town in the next year. Are you up for visitors??

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Hooray for Shannon Hale! And hooray for Aunt Tet who is an amazing writer and just put my feelings in words more eloquently than I could have--and by so doing reminds me that the women I look up to (stephanie.l.mcmillan) as referenced in bullet #3, may also perhaps maybe feel the same way as I do! hooray! As high school musical has so charmingly sung "we're all in this together" and I'm so thankful to have a network of coolio women (including Shannon Hale whom I also stalk) who give me awesome--and free!--therapy as I bungle my way through my mommyhood right now. Love you tister!

Stephanie said...

Yes to all of the above questions! But at the end of the day if I haven't gotten 3 things done well...well, there's always tomorrow! You are so talented and amazing. You take on more than most...so give yourself some slack and take some time for yourself. I'm only a few corners away if you need a time out! I love your blog by the way!

Melly Mae said...

oh my gosh! i'm not the only one???



YES!!!!!!!!

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map