I probably shouldn't post this. But it was hilarious. . .
Some of you will be absolutely appalled by the fact that I still help Ben wipe after he goes #2. I am just seriously opposed to underwear skids and poo-smelling boys. I find it a small inconvenience in my day to keep certain hygiene standards. However, I have recently realized that Ben is almost 5 and really needs to learn the important skill of self-wiping.
So we had a talk the other day in which I informed him of his new job--wiping himself after using the bathroom.
His main concern was a valid one, "Yuck. I don't want poop on my hands."
We discussed proper technique and I shared with him the fine art of wrapping toilet paper about one's hand to make a "glove."
He countered with his own version of the "toilet paper wad" which he claims to prefer.
After many discussions, he finally responded in the affirmative but later came back with a negotiating point, "How about when it's not very messy I will wipe, but if it's really messy you will wipe."
"Deal," I said, a bit unsure as to the specifics but willing to encourage any form of independence.
Well, moving on to yesterday afternoon. He had been in the bathroom for quite a while so I decided to check on him. I found him precariously perched on the bathroom counter, bum toward mirror, legs spread so he could bend over and look through his legs to the mirror. It was a shocking scene until I figured out just what it was he was doing. . .
"Not too messy, mom. I can wipe it."
And there you have the checking method. Nicely done, my little man.

4 comments:
all I can say is... I still remember when Todd was at our house one day in the bathroom. He was yelling for me and when I got there he handed me the toilet paper and assumed the wiping position. I remember saying "Sorry your on your own this time." He looked so perplexed. It took awhile before he came out. So he may have come home with a couple of skid marks that day. Love a good potty training story. lol
Skill-building - I love it.
ummm.. it took us a while to stop laughing about this one. keep um comin' sista!!!!!
mellissa
That was hilarious.
Post a Comment