
So, this is how school drop-off goes for our little group each morning. . .I park at the opposite end of the parking lot from the school and we hoof it. This way we avoid all the traffic and have a nice little walk down the length of the building. Ben takes infinitely more time to just get out of the van than Todd, so Todd bids us farewell and walks in alone (I'm sure it's much cooler to walk in alone as well). Ben and I then have a leisurely walk together. He still lets me hold his hand (and occasionally his backpack), for which I am very grateful.

Our conversation this morning went something like this:
Turning the corner, Ben said, "Wow. Todd is already almost at the door."
"He sure is," I replied, "I think he secretly likes school and is excited to get to his classroom."
To which Ben matter-of factly stated, "No. We hate school."
"You hate school? I don't think so," I said.
Quick response from Ben, "Yes we do. Todd said."
I love the use of the word "we," and the fact that Ben had no input whatsoever into the reasoning. Yet he was quick to assure me that "We hate school." I guess they are like a collective mind.
I actually think they are enjoying school far more than they would care to admit. Todd, particularly has found a lot of satisfaction in seeing the things he is capable of accomplishing. The end of home schooling last year had become something of a battle of wills, and he got away with a lot because I was sick of the fight. So, school has been good for him. He was positively glowing when he came home to report that he had written four paragraphs during class. For my little non-writer, this was a major accomplishment. I was so happy for his hard work. It was very gratifying for me to see him take pleasure in accomplishing something that was challenging.
Ben is actually having a more difficult time with the adjustment. He is just
plumb worn out tired. But I volunteered in his classroom last week and he is a great little first grader. The kids in his class all like him, he does good work, and he has a great teacher (who also happens to be a family friend). I think once he gets adjusted to the new schedule, he'll be happy with his "new life."

Here's hoping "we" can learn to like school.

4 comments:
Glad to see you posting again, Steph. Your boys are just so cute. Don't tell them that. I hope they are adjusting to school and you are adjusting to life at home without them. Go do something cool for the both of us.
they are SO cute! keep in touch, i have LOTS of little girls and i think you guys would make great in-laws. :)
Cool backpacks. cool shoes. Cool collective minds. Cool kids. and hooray for change that is good :) love you guys mucho!
What a cute post! I love your boys, and I second the cute shoes! You are such a good mom. (when are you going to come out again? Maybe I should just show up on your doorstep next week!)
Post a Comment