Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Order in the Universe?

We had meatloaf for dinner tonight. Mini meatloaf, actually, with tomato sauce and Italian seasoning sprinkled on top. It is one of those meals that we occasionally eat, as Ryan enjoys it (and I even like it once or twice a year). But I knew even as I defrosted the beef, that I would be in for a painful meal with Todd. Weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth are some actions that come easily to mind.
So, he walks in the door from playing at a friend's house, sniffs, and says, "What are we having for dinner?"
"Meatloaf." Better to keep if short and to the point, I think.
"What's that?"
"It's like pizza," I venture.
"Cheeseburger pizza," Ryan adds. I may say here that Todd only started liking pizza about a year ago and still thinks a cheeseburger is the name for a slice of cheese melted between two buns, sans meat.
So we sit down to eat. Todd chooses a mini meatloaf from the pan. He props himself on his chair (he rarely sits, more like a half stand) and proceeds to eat a bite. I watch carefully out of the corner of my eye. Then I direct the conversation to something else, "What'd you do at Jaden's?"
He answers and then proceeds to eat another bite.
And he eats the whole thing.
And he doesn't complain.
Not once.
He actually compliments me on my hashbrowns, saying they taste like chips and, "I really like the crunchy parts."
And he eats his peas.
It was a nice dinner. Delightful, actually. Order in the universe? I think not. But I like this kind of chaos.


And what of Ben's reaction to dinner, you might ask. We won't talk about that.

1 comment:

Gramatana said...

You just never know - just remember those peas and fish sticks!!!

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map