We ended up on the west side of town tonight around dinner time so we decided to go out for a bite to eat (a real rarity for our family, because as Todd says, "You're a cheap mom.") Anyway, we went to Pei Wei (a diner version of PF Changs), or "Chocksticks," as Ben was calling it.
We had a wonderful time.
I just have to type that again. We had a wonderful time.
I'm not even kidding. It did look a bit iffy there for a few seconds when the server handed us a large cup with the kid's meals, explaining they were out of the kid's cups. I handed it to Benny and he looked positively offended, "No. Tiny cup," he insisted. But after I assured him he got a big cup entirely to himself, he was assuaged.
So, after that roadblock, it was smooth as buttah. The boys sat down and stayed seated the entire time. Granted, they did sword fight with their chopsticks occasionally, but they are boys. They ate the dinner that was put in front of them without a single word of complaint (Cripsy Honey Chicken and Teriyaki Chicken). They used their chopsticks as spears for their chicken and thoroughly enjoyed each bite. The biggest excitement came from seeing the grill flame up periodically in the kitchen.
No one needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the meal. There was not a single spill. And, to top it off, as Todd put it, "we're lucky, Mom."
"Why's that?"
"Because we get to leave all these plates and bowls and cups right here."
A bit confused I said, "So why does that make us lucky?"
He looked at me with his I-guess-we-need-to-be-patient-with-mom-because-she's-so-slow look and said, "We don't have to do the dishes."
What a night.

2 comments:
Don't you love those little moments when your kids are so good? I swear I don't remember the last time we went out to eat. Our out to eat consists of picking up Taco Bell/pizza/ or chilis and bringing it home to eat it. We just don't go out to eat because we always get the death look from other people in the restaurant, you know how it is!! Oh I love my boys.
Yum!! I would definitely eat that without a single complaint!! We have no yummy Chinese food in C'ville (as you well remember) And you are lucky! Todd was very clever to look at it that way! No dishes :)I just love those rare times when the kids are so good. Its great that you were able to capture it so well in your blog! You can look back at it and remember it the next time they are awful at a restaurant :)
Post a Comment