Thursday, August 20, 2009

Grammy





My dear sweet great grandmother passed away at the age of 98. She lived a great life, and she died the way she wanted, surrounded by people she loved.

I last saw Grammy 6 weeks ago in Boise. She was still holding babies, cracking jokes, hugging great-great-grandchildren, and telling me what a good girl I was and how proud she was of me. Until last week, she had a few aches and pains associated with old age, but she wasn’t plagued with long-term illness, tied to a hospital bed, or placed in a nursing home. She lived an amazing life right up until the end. What a blessing.

Grammy has been part of my life for 32 years. She lived in Dillon, MT, where I was born. I remember sitting in her kitchen having juice and crackers. I remember talking with Grammy and G.G. in their living room. G.G. would sit in the corner on “his” chair, wearing his bunny suit (a one-piece jumper in blue) while Grammy sat on the end of the sofa closest to his chair and knitted or crocheted. As I thought about Grammy in the last few days, I could distinctly hear the sound of the back screen door slamming as it went into the garage and out to the patio. Grammy and G.G. had a sweet little patio carpeted with astroturf and full of comfy chairs. I remember hours spent there talking with the grown ups. I can picture bringing my future husband home and meeting the extended family sitting on that patio.

When we moved far across the country, I had the special joy of hosting Grammy in our home for a week. There was just something so special about having her in my own home and showing her my life as a grown up. Todd got time to play and laugh with her. She flew into Indianapolis and for part of her stay, Grammy and I drove together to Nauvoo (while Ryan watched Todd), where we attended the temple and saw the sights. Those hours in the car were so much fun as Grammy told me about growing up in Rexburg, Idaho.

One story in particular has always brought a smile as I recall it. For her eighth grade home economics class, each girl was required to sew a dress which she would then wear to graduation. According to Grammy, the pattern was a hideous sailor-style dress which she hated. She had no desire to wear such a thing, so she decided she would just not graduate from eighth grade. Apparently, her mother thought otherwise because the dress was completed and she did graduate.

Later years took Grammy to Boise. I love that she was there where my parents lived, because I got to see her each time I visited. My kids always seemed to understand that no matter what mood they were in, Grammy always got hugs. They performed beautifully for her even when they were crotchety with everyone else. I’m so grateful.

There is a multitude of random things that come to mind when I think of Grammy:
· Her handwriting has been pretty squiggly for years, and she always signed cards with XOXOXOXO and a small hand-drawn image of herself. She also bought whatever card she liked and then modified it to fit her needs by crossing out whatever didn’t fit or adding words if she needed.
· Grammy served a mission in Salt Lake City when she was around 88 or 90. She was there when a random tornado came through downtown. After the tornado, the family was trying to contact her but could not find her anywhere. We were calling the Red Cross and Ryan and I were ready to head down from Provo when she finally called. She simply said the electricity was out in her building, so she and some friends had decided to go shopping at the mall. Easy as that.
· Grammy was there for my baby blessing, my baptism, my graduation, my wedding, and every other major milestone of my life.
· Grammy held and loved both of my children. They both knew her by name and sight and loved her. What a precious gift that is.
· Ben’s favorite crocheted-edge blanket is named “Ami”—it is an orange and blue blanket with an animal print that Grammy made for him when he was born. What a tender reminder of her love.
· Grammy made the trip to Las Vegas for Todd’s baptism in April. We celebrated her 98th birthday as well. She was right in the middle of things and took several good swings at the piƱata. She also played stomp rockets with the kids and has a wicked good aim. One of the things she wanted to do while she was here was attend the temple. Amidst the hustle and bustle, the trip almost got scrapped, but we pulled together and went anyway. As we stood there she said, “This is the best thing that’s ever happened to me”—perhaps a slight exaggeration, but I’m so grateful to have stood together with her in the most holy of places and be reminded of what really matters in this life.

I know that Grammy is happy now. I am grateful for an eternal plan of happiness that seals us together as families. I’m grateful for the life, atonement, and death of my Savior who made it possible to break the bands of death, both spiritually and physically.

I remember there was a time when I was annoyed that Grammy couldn’t seem to get over calling me “Stephi” –I was ready to grow up and out of my little girl name. But a few years ago, I embraced it wholeheartedly, knowing that I would miss it when she was gone. . . I already do.


9 comments:

Lizzy said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your family's great loss. Even though she lived a long, full, life, it is difficult to lose someone that has always been a part of yours.

Unknown said...

Stephanie,
Reading about you losing your gramma totally brings tears to my eyes as I think about how I will handle the days/weeks after my dear Gramma passes away. I can relate to so many of your experiences that you shared with her. I think that we are so lucky to have such a special woman in our lives. So many people aren't fortunate to have a grandmother that they can be so close to. Thanks for reminding me to cherish each day that I have with her.

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Nicely done, Steph. Happy tears as I read your sweet tribute. . . We love that lady.

Family of Strength said...

Beautiful. Tears of joy and peace are good tears any day of the week.

Sarah said...

I know that I've said it before, but your Grammy has made me totally revise my end-of-life plans. She's amazing - I'm so excited for her to be reunited with her husband and parents and anyone else who has gone before her. What a wonderful woman!

Megan said...

Stephanie, I am so sorry to hear about your Grammy. I still remember that she took the time to help make blankets for me when I had the triplets. That has always meant so much to me that she would do that--and she didn't even know me. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman. You and your family are in our prayers.

amydear said...

I always wanted to meet your Grammy! I could always tell by how you talked about her that she was a great woman. Sounds like the end of her life is a celebration of all of the wonderful things she accomplished and lives she touched, and I know she'll be missed. And you may not remember, but Jillian called the quilt you made for her her "Stephy" blanky.

Unknown said...

Steph,
I am so sorry to hear about Grammy. she is truly a wonderful woman and you are so lucky to have been blessed with such a great heritage.
Love you lots!
Aunt Janette

candy's clothes closet said...

so sorry to hear about your grandma. I remember her sitting on your porch when she came to visit you here. love ya! If I were there I would give you a big hug.

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map