Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Desert Rats

A little background. My children are obsessed with sleeping in dark, cave-like dwellings at night. I read a great book about sleep Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby several years ago. It talks about controlling light in your kids rooms to help them develop great sleep patterns. I'm afraid I have created little monsters. Additionally, we have been reaching 100 nearly every day, even at the bitter end of September, so our blinds and curtains are still. . . . .closed about 90% of the time.

Anyway, this morning at 6:00 a.m. it was delightfully cool outside (by this I mean slightly under 70), so I threw open the curtains and opened the windows wide. By 7:00 a.m. when the boys woke up, it had dropped to 74 degrees inside the house, a temperature this interior has not seen since April.

Ben was the first to wake up. He came wandering into my bedroom with his animals blankie wrapped turban-style around his head, covering his eyes as well. "Mommy. It's so bright. . .why is it so bright?" I pulled the corner of the blanket up and he rapidly blinked his little cave-darkened eyes as if I were shining a flashlight directly at him. "So bright, Mommy."

Todd entered the scene about ten minutes later, with his arms pulled inside his pajamas, "It's freezing in here. Why are the windows open?" (Recall that at this point it is a sub-zero 74 degrees).

Tonight as I was getting everyone bathed up, I again threw the windows wide open. Todd finished his bath and came in, again limbless inside his jammies, "Mom. You grew up in Montana. You know what cold is like. We don't. We can't handle this. It's freezing."

Poor babies. They are seriously desert rats.

4 comments:

Gramatana said...

Love it. We figured you guys would really be cold when it dropped some 20+ degrees in one day. This is absolute proof that you need to get to a cooler state - like Idaho!! Love ya all!

The Heaton's said...

your post makes me laugh. i too have created the light controled room monster. it was about 2am last night and i woke up and notice connors room was below 75 degrees ::gasp:: i am sure his room as never gone below 76. i layed awake all night agonizing over the fact connor was probably freezing cold. i pictured him curled up in a tiny ball with a little pink nose and ice cold hands all because it was a freezing 75 degrees in his room.

InkMom said...

My kids, too, are children of the darkness. When I go in to check on them before turning in for the night myself, I leave the hall light on so I can see. Without fail, ConMan turns away from the light, grimaces in pain, and covers his head with both arms. Cracks me up every time.

Sarah said...

I love it! Our children don't even know what cold is. I for one am happy to be able to say "I grew up in Utah in a drafty old house with no heat except a coal-burning stove." It makes me feel mature (that's a nice way to say old).

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map