It was surprisingly FREEZING up there at night. Coming from the mid 90's, this girl was freezing. I had a serious claustrophobia attack in a tent with four other adults and a sloping ceiling. I'm used to sleeping with very few covers on in the heat, so that zipped-up sleeping bag about did me in. Then, when I'd finally talked myself into relaxing, we hear, "Sister Warner!" Ginger got out to check and seconds later yelled, "Back up." So I hopped out of my sleeping bag to find a puke-covered tent. Delicious. Note to self for next year--don't give the girls free access to the snack box on day one. That was seriously a test of my constitution. Ginger Warner is the most amazing woman I know--it didn't even phase her. Then back to the sleeping bag and another round of claustrophobia, and another half hour of clenching and unclenching my feet to try and relax. Finally, I drifted into that blissful land of nod when, again, "Sister Warner." This was followed with another, "Back up." At least round two only consisted of emptying the bowl. . .After that we finally got to go to sleep for the night.
So, we did have a bit of drama and there were moments of homesickness. I wanted to strangle a few of the girls repeatedly. But overall, it was fantastic. There is truly something amazing that happens to so many of these girls when you get them away from the city. One afternoon during free time I looked over to see little groups of girls spread across the hill. And they weren't holding anything. . .no phones, no iPods, no nuthin'! They were talking and laughing and having a good time. Electronic devices were not only prohibited, there was absolutely no reception up the mountain, so sneaking them in wouldn't have helped. Aside from the lack of technology, there is just something about being close to the Father's creations that I truly believe brings out a spark of divinity within these young women. The world around us is so filled with things that simply aren't real. When you can take a girl away from that, she is filled with things that are real, that are tangible, and that bring out her true divine nature. I loved it.
On Friday night, the bishopric came for dinner and testimony meeting. It was a serious crack up to me. Those girls were so excited for these three middle-aged men to come up for a visit. They asked me all afternoon when they were coming. I kept reminding them that I had been with them all week and I had no idea when my bishop husband would show up. When they arrived, the girls surrounded them and sang them camp songs for an hour straight. This is in no way an exaggeration. They were giggly and giddy--it cracked me up.
I was glad to be back home and sleep in my own bed on Saturday night. I was glad for a return to my flip-flops. I was even glad for the heat so I could sleep with a sheet and not wrapped up like a mummy. A little sunburned, a little sore, but happy to have shared a week with these amazing young women.
Watching the flag ceremony. The girls called the bandana look "beast mode"

Brother Dill cooking up some good food

Brother Thiriot

Cute Miss Meaghan

Ally and Katie--"Spirit Fingers"

Only at girls camp will I play a raging bull--sorry you all missed it

Emily (with a peek from Aubrie)

Our flamenco dancers

Allyson Gunnell (and Ginger's hands), Cami, and Hayley

The dancers strut their stuff

Dutch oven deliciousness


2 comments:
Oh wow. Looks like we all missed out! Glad you had a great time. I'm looking forward to this in my future. : )
Sounds like fun to me! Seeing you all ~I'm actually missing Vegas right now!
Post a Comment