Friday, December 9, 2011

Marbles


Todd has been chomping at the bit every morning to get to school this week. You heard me right.
Todd.
Wants.
To.
Get.
To.
School.
My kid who five months ago hated school and would tell anyone withing hearing range. That kid.
Every morning this week he has been counting down the minutes, starting 30 minutes before. He herds Ben toward the door (somewhat nicely) and is so frustrated when Mr. Slow is his usual dawdling self.
What brought about this change?
Marbles.
Marbles are the new craze for the 5th grade boy set. They don't even play by the right rules--they have their own version. Every morning before school and every lunch recess they play. Todd was all excited today because he's playing for 3rd place in the "championships."
There is one boy, Henry (I think), who is the "marble expert." He knows what all the marbles are called and he can examine your marble and tell you its name. He has a gallon bag full of marbles, according to Todd.
This might seem little and silly, but it is another answer to my prayers. Todd's shell is cracking open bit by bit. He is meeting new, good, kind friends. He is expanding beyond his little world. I can see him growing and changing and I love this young man he is becoming.
And guess what?
Marbles are cheap.

3 comments:

Lynnette said...

Thank goodness for good friends. I am still praying for one for my 11 year old. . . want to send Todd our way? We could invest in marbles. . .

candy's clothes closet said...

Steph that is so great:) It's not easy to make good friends that share your interests. It looks like Todd has freckles now. Does he? If so that's funny because Hadyn has them too. Glad he's adjusting and making friends. Prayer is such a beautiful thing. I have such a strong testimony of the Power of Prayer. I'm sure you do too:) Love you guys. PS. you should fly in for tomorrows ugly sweater Christmas party.

Sarah said...

Love it!

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map