Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Chick with a Gun

If you know what scope bite is, you can get your laughter over with at the beginning of my post, rather than holding it for later. I have two on my forehead. If you don't, you'll have to keep reading.

One of the highlights of the week was my shooting afternoon, provided courtesy of my super-cool, ultra-amazing, very fun brother Chris. I'm originally from Montana and I felt like I was going back to my roots. Chris drove us about an hour into the wilds of the Idaho desert. I was beginning to think that perhaps he was going to ditch us in the desert in some version of family Survivor. But, at last we made it to our destination.

We started off with the .22, which Todd got fairly proficient at by his third clip. Todd was feeling very grown up to have been included.

Then we moved on to the .45 handgun (am I writing these calibers correctly?). I had no idea that it was going to have such a big kick for such a little gun. I loved shooting it, though. It looked very spyish. Reviewing the pictures, I realize I look like a ninny leaning back so far, but it was my first time. Then, the AK-47. Super cool. Very heavy. And quite a kick as well.

Then, the 12 gauge shotgun with the clay pigeons. I don't know what miracle of fate made it happen, but I hit my second one. I should have stopped then and basked in the glow of my glory and the shocked laughter on my dad's face, but I persisted and missed about 20 more before hitting again. Oh well, 10% for my first try isn't bad (though I hear rumors that Julie rocked on her first try).

Next, we tried our hand at the AR-15. Very big gun that shoots far. Also included, a large scope, that when improperly held can kick back and smack you in the head. . .hard. Hence the scope bite, still a bit tender today. But, luckily it covers up nicely with concealer. So, I'm a rookie.
It was a super fun afternoon. I think I'm hooked. We definitely need to get some firearms before the new year and the new government. Who knows what will happen then. And now I'll step off my very small political soapbox.

Thanks, Chris for a great afternoon.

2 comments:

Family of Strength said...

ohhh, Bill's going to love this post!!! I want pics of the "bite"!

~SHERI said...

You will have to tell Ryan all about those guns that you shot. He will be SO jealous...

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map