Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Space, Time, and Conference

I feel a great burden to keep all blogs in some sort of linear order. So, when I don't have time to blog on certain events, I then feel that I can't blog the next event in order without disrupting the space time continuum. It weighs heavily upon my mind.

However, I'm throwing caution to the wind here and attempting to just blog what is currently on my mind, without any thought to how it might send my blog into a timeline upheaval. I have other things that still need to be blogged, but I'm not going to do that right now. I think this is why I have never been a successful scrapbooker--too many guilt feelings. Maybe I should blog sometime about guilt. Our family has a long running history of success in that area. But, alas, I digress. On to my thoughts.

I just wanted to put a shout out there for a wonderful conference weekend. For anyone unfamiliar, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds a semi-annual general conference in April and October each year in which our prophet , apostles, and other church leaders speak and offer counsel and direction. It is broadcast via satellite throughout the world. It was a fabulous one for our family. We made a few discoveries:
  • We discovered that Legos can keep children happy and content for hours in a relatively quiet fashion. Both boys were in the room for probably 90% of conference, and for the most part were in control. Several times I saw Todd thoroughly engrossed in a story one of the speakers was telling. And Ben would often comment when he heard a funny word. So, I know they got something out of it. We love Legos.
  • We also discovered that NOT planning other stuff really allowed us to make conference our number one priority. We made a few store runs in between sessions and did some projects around the house, but we didn't plan anything else.
  • We discovered that conference weekend means we get our husband/dad at home all day Sunday. We will look forward to these two weekends a year like no other for the next five or so years while Ryan is bishop.
  • I discovered that when I prepared myself for conference and thought about questions that I was searching for answers to, I was blessed to hear the things I needed.

I am grateful to live in a time when a prophet of God lives on the earth. More than that, I am grateful that I have been blessed to have that knowledge. I realize more and more each day that because of this blessing, I also have an obligation to share that knowledge with others. So, I'm first sharing it with you. If you didn't have a chance to hear the prophet speak last weekend, go to LDS.org and check it out. Amazing stuff. Five new temples. Amazing.

2 comments:

candy's clothes closet said...

You are too funny. I feel the same way about having to blog in order or disrupt the space time continuum. Conference rocked! We are truly blessed to have the gospel to guide and direct our lives. I did however miss a pancake b-fast w/you guys. We have made a special effort the past couple of conferences to attend the Sunday am. session at the chapel. I watch the other sessions on our laptop. There is just something special about getting dolled up and feeling the Spirit of conference w/ our friends and loved ones at the chapel. We miss ya. Good luck w/your life as a bishop's family. Love you guys!

Sarah said...

It sounds like Legos keep little boys and big boys happy during conference. Steve made the most spectacular Lego airplane during the Sunday afternoon session. It took him most of the two hours. Basically, Lexie got Legos for her birthday the day before, and her dad spent two hours playing with those Legos the very next day. Want to guess whose idea it was to get her the Legos? Legos ARE fun!

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map