Sunday, January 10, 2010

Back At It





School started up again last week at the McMillan house. It was a rough transition back into routine--much needed after two weeks off, but rough all the same.
Luckily, we started with a new science unit with plenty of hands-on experiments, like this one. 2 parts cornstarch mixed with 1 part water has the properties of both a solid and a liquid. Both boys were fascinated. It was messy and delightful.
Funny side note--Ryan got a fun fancy new camera for Christmas. He has spent hours reading and researching to learn the ropes of this fun new toy. He knows cool things about white balance and ISO and AF-something or other. I just know that it takes cool pictures of my kids. So, while we were doing this experiment, I wanted to capture the delightful expressions on those adorable faces. I picked up the camera.
All action ceased. Todd got very serious. "Mom, I don't think you should use Dad's camera." (an emphasis on "Dad's camera"). "He says you don't know how to use it and you don't take good pictures."
I assured him it would be fine if I used "Dad's camera," but he was never quite convinced. I don't think I did too bad of a job with the pictures, do you? (By the way, in Ryan's defense, he later claimed that he didn't say anything about the quality of my pictures. . .should we believe him? probably not. I do usually take lousy pictures)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

The pictures are great. You would put Ryan's skills to shame.

The Blomquist Bunch said...

LOVE the science of fun! You got some seriously cool learning going on there, Steph. And your camera skillz are sweet, too (i loved hearing Todd's voice in my head as you told that story!) Did you make the boys PJs? TOo many skillz for one woman!!!! :) So excited to see you guys next week (er, and to "not" see you, too--hee hee)

Stephanie said...

Looks like fun to me! I want that science lesson...we didn't get that part when we did the kindergarten version of liquids and solids. It's been a rough transition for us too!

tavia said...

If I ever decide to home school Ill be hitting you up for tips and fun way to make school cool

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map