Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What's Wrong With This Picture?


Look carefully at this picture. What is the first thing that comes to mind? Perhaps the fact that I am the only one in it? That's right. My delightful mother-in-law invited me to California for a girls weekend while my boys were at the father and sons campout. Actually, Todd got sick that weekend, so it ended up being an at home campout weekend for the boys, but I was already flying off into the sunset by that time.

I sure love being a mom, but a little break was divine. I got to ride on an airplane all by myself, which meant I only packed one small carry-on and carried a cute purse, not a bulging diaper bag designed to rip my shoulders to shreds. I read a book for the entire flight. I sat by the window and did not feel compelled to give up my seat so my kids could have a better view. I even sat in an exit row.

I did have one brief moment in downtown San Francisco where my heart stopped as I realized I wasn't holding my children's hands, only to remember they were not there.

Glenn, Kathy, and I went to Jeremy's graduation in SF and we spent the day with Liz and Jeremy (a little funny that I was there and Ryan was not, but so nice that I get along with Ryan's family and feel like they're my family, too).

Saturday, I slept in and felt no rush to get anywhere. When we finally got moving (Kathy is still recovering from a recent surgery) Kathy and I went shopping in Monterey and Pacific Grove. She spoiled me for my birthday with some fun new clothes and then we ate lunch at a quaint little restaurant that would not have been enjoyable with kids, but was divine without. Then we went home and I made cookies with Jordan (my brother-in-law still at home). Then off for more dining out at Phil's fish market down on the beach in Moss Landing.

By the end I was missing my family as I realized how much they would have enjoyed the trip, too. But was I sad that I went? Not even. I had a great time. Thanks, Glenn and Kathy. I sure love you.

1 comment:

candy's clothes closet said...

Lucky girl. I'm sure it was a much deserved re-treat. Your hair has gotten so long. How ever did the boys manage w/out the fabulous woman that holds the house and family together. Tell them all hi for us. You look beautiful and relaxed in your cute photo.

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map