We had some friends over to dinner tonight. Their daughter was diagnosed a few weeks ago with leukemia. As we hung out together tonight and I watched her so weak and frail at age four, and I was reminded that some things matter and some things just don't.
It is so easy to get caught up in things and stuff. But really, it doesn't matter what kind of car we drive or what kind of house we live in. It doesn't matter what clothes we wear or if our shoes or handbags are the latest fashion. Petty disagreements about small things really are just that--petty. Occasionally I feel sick or tired or a bit under the weather. Sometimes my kids get the sniffles. Sometimes I'm a grouchy mom. Sometimes I'm mean to my husband. I know in the future I'm highly likely to do or be all those things again.
But as I sat with Livi tonight as her mom and dad cleaned up her puke mess, I combed through her hair and thought about how much all that really doesn't matter. In the whole eternal scope of things, all that stuff is just stuff. What is real is family and friends and eternal relationships and covenants.
Leave it to Todd to lighten what had become a heavy moment. Livi was holding a big puke bucket and Racheal asked for a smaller bowl. I came out with the smallest thing I could find that wasn't breakable. Todd took one look at the little metal bowl and said totally straight-faced, "I'd go with the big one." We all laughed--and we needed to.
Later, after stories and prayers, I went to give Todd a hug and he whispered in my ear, "I hope Livi gets better."
I hope so, too.
So, if you have an extra moment in your prayers tonight, or any other night, pray for our friend Livi, and for her amazing mom, dad, and brother.

1 comment:
Steph you're still the best. I got totally teary eyed when reading this. I miss having you around all the time. We miss you guys. You should really come see all of your c-ville friends. They ask me about you all of the time. I need to be a better friend and keep in touch. We will keep your friends in our thoughts and prayers. What a beautiful daughter of our Heavenly Father. What a brave family.
Post a Comment