Saturday, May 31, 2008

Memorable Memorial/Birthday Weekend





I'm officially 31. And it feels great. I'm healthy, happy, and I have a great family. Sunday is a pretty quiet day to have a birthday. We had fondue for the birthday treat--very nice because there wasn't a huge cake around to tempt us all for a week. The boys were very thoughtful in picking out my gifts--I loved them all. I really do have the greatest boys--all three of them.

Memorial Day was a good day for the gopher patrol. While at Lone Mountain park on the west side of Las Vegas, we had a gopher sighting! One of the little critters was digging a hole right by the sidewalk near where we were eating.

It reminded me of an incident last summer when Ben was still a wee little tyke. He was the happiest little chap all day. Then, one moment, he started screaming bloody murder. We had no idea what had happened. We picked him up, soothed him, and then he was back to normal. A few minutes later, it happened again. Again, soothing. Finally, we caught the culprit the next time when a little gopher head popped out near Ben's feet. Ben was terrified by this unknown little creature. Funny story.

But, more to the point. We had a great Memorial Day. For once, we decided to stay home on a day Ryan had off instead of traipsing off in the car for states close by. We went to the park and did a short hike up the rocks to overlook the valley. We wanted to hike to the top, but didn't park near the trailhead, evidentally, and we were too lazy to move the car. The boys enjoyed scaling the steep rocks, though, and we had a nice morning. Then, we ate a picnic in the park (packed in my cute new picnic basket--thanks Rachael and Bill). After that, we exchanged a few birthday presents.

When we got home, it was down to some serious business of Dance Dance Revolution. Todd was mainly responsible for driving my birthday present this year. He chose Dance Dance Revolution (the Disney Version). I got two dance pads and the game. He is getting to be quite the dancer. We had our first dance offs. Both of us were sweating up a storm--then we realized the air conditioning was turned off. We even got Ryan and Ben up and dancing a few times. Ryan is avoiding it so he doesn't look silly, and Ben just isn't quite coordinated enough. But I think we're going to have some fun dancing times ahead. Watch out "So You Think You Can Dance"--Steph and Todd are going to take you all by storm--hah! (some of you Indiana people remember clearly how well I can dance).

Overall, it was a great Memorial Day/Birthday Weekend.

1 comment:

candy's clothes closet said...

Happy Birthday!! It sounds like your 31st was a great time. Wish I could've been there to celebrate w/you. I was just thinking this a.m. as I was getting ready for church that I miss clearance shopping at Target w/you. Do you guys have Target in Vegas? Happy Birthday again. We love you guys!

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map