One of the rides was a driving track with little cars (made to look like legos, as was the theme). The sign stated Ages 3-5. Ben will be 3 in August, but he's pretty smart and coordinated and frequently people assume he is 3. So I decided we'd give it a try.
As I neared the front of the line, I could see the attendant. He looked at each kid and asked them how old they were. By this time, we had already snaked through quite a bit of the line and Ben was totally psyched. So I did the only thing I could think of. I looked down at Ben and said, "If he asks you how old you are, hold up these fingers and say, three, OK?"
So we get to the front of the line and the ride attendant, true to form, asked Ben, "How old are you?"
Ben came through with flying colors, "Three," he said, and held up three perfect fingers.
So he rides the ride, is so proud of himself, and even gets a little card that says Drivers License on it. And I'm sure that is the end of our little fib.
But, later in a moment of confession, I told Sarah about the incident. So she tests Ben's skills. "Ben," she says, "how old are you?"
"Two," he replies confidently, "'cept if I want to ride car, then I'm three."
And there's the sting. Not only did I teach my kid to lie. He knows it. And has it down pat. That's one for the books.

1 comment:
I love that you're able to admit that you taught Ben to be dishonest. The thing that I find funny is that he knows how to get what he wants. I just want to grab him out of that pic and give him a big hug. He still looks like his mama too.
Post a Comment