Friday, December 19, 2008

Annual Christmas Party

Todd and Ben hosted the second annual McMillan kid Christmas party tonight.  Todd's 9 invitees all attended, as did Ben's 2.  We had a good time.  Todd's planning was impeccable--he planned fun projects, crafts, and games.  When it came down to party time, though, he really wanted to wrestle and be absolutely crazy most of the time.  I guess multiple seven-year-olds in the same room bring out the insanity in everyone.  However, we did have a nice time.  

We made gingerbread (graham cracker) houses, ate pizza, played a fun (and exceedingly loud) game of Christmas Bingo, and attempted some crafts (Sam, Sophie, Mandy, Olivia, Skylar, and Ally actually did these).  I have to put in a side note here about Sam.  He was having a rough day when he showed up, but he probably enjoyed the specific activities more than any of the other kids.  It was fun to watch him meticulously figure out how to do each thing.  I was glad he came. 

After the unsuccessful group crafting, the kids watched Tom and Jerry Christmas, which they loved.  I'm glad that they can still get tons of enjoyment out of good classic humor that doesn't involve vulgarity. Granted, it does involved rather reckless constant violence, but I'm good with violence that squashes a character as flat as a pancake, only to have them inflated by a bike pump.  That kind of cartoon violence suits me just fine.  (How did this  become an entry about television?)

One of my young women, Allyson, came to help out.  She spent most of the night with the three little guests.  Ben thinks she is just about the greatest thing in the world, and she is so good with him.  I love it when the youth are good examples to my younger kids--it makes my job easier as a mom.  So, a shout out to Ally for helping tonight.  You're the best.  



Things I will change for next year's party:  Keep it simple.  Graham cracker houses, bingo, pizza, and movie.  Maybe make up a few crafts kits for those kids who don't want to watch the movie.  Serve rice krispie treats instead of brownies (chocolate mess).   Shorten the guest list (if possible)--13 kids turned out to be quite the party.  

But, all in all, I think the kids had fun.  Todd and Ben were both happy.  We'll try it again for our third time next year.  

Oh, on a positive side note (for those of you who are a bit insane like myself), I didn't clean my house before the party.  I straightened up and things, but I didn't dust or vacuum.  I figured I'd just have to do it after everyone left, and was I right.  The floor was a disaster.  Glad I saved myself some time.  And I can guarantee the kids didn't notice a thing :)

7 comments:

InkMom said...

I think I just might live vicariously through you every single year . . . we will probably not be having our own tot-friendly Christmas party this year, or any other. But you go, girl! You are way braver than I am!

Jen said...

Thanks for inviting Olivia. She had a great time.

Crystal said...

Thanks for hosting the party! My boys had a fabulous time! They especially enjoyed Tom and Jerry, go figure. I let Bonnie have her own Christmas party while the boys were away, which was really fun, I think I'll do that again next year. We made your Chocolate mint cookies. Yum! Yum!

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Impressive, sister. Looks like a rockin' party---high five to you for being a great home-schoolin' party-throwin' mother. We're excited to see you guys this week!

Knudson Family said...

Thanks Steph! Sam was glad that he went, too. I have also figured out the cleaning thing...NEVER vacuum or sweep or meticulously clean before a kids party. Like you said, they never notice!

amydear said...

Wish we lived closer so we could enjoy the fun! I thought about doing a party, but that's as far as it got.

Meg said...

You are so cute, who does Ally belong to, I don't recognize her and are you in YW now? I just got called as 2nd counselor and love it!! Miss you guys! I really was wishing hard this holiday that we were still in Vegas, boohoo!

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map