Friday, December 12, 2008

Quiet Night

Warning: Complainer Alert
It's been a bit of a long week.
Ryan's been gone quite a bit lately--a hazard of his part time job (hee, hee).
I babysat kids every day this week--and don't get me wrong. I'm glad to help people out. Don't read this and then never ask me to babysit your kids again. But you've been there. Extra kids are always extra kids.
I've been trying to finish up Christmas presents--not just mine, but a few commissioned pieces--once again, I underestimate how long school will take each day and how little time I'll have to accomplish other things.
And to top it all of, it's Christmas so I'm supposed to be happy, not grouchy. And since I come from a long line of guilt-mongers, I can even make myself feel guilty about not being happy and cheery when I should be.
Plus, we just found out that the local stake that has performed a beautiful live nativity for something like 15 years running is no longer performing, so our plans for tonight went out the window.
As a result, we ended up at home with each other. What a blessing. We snacked on my yummy guacamole, (courtesy of clearance avocados at Fresh and Easy--$.59 for 4) ate pizza, and drank Ryan's gourmet milkshakes for dinner. Then we snuggled up on the couch for a viewing of Polar Express. It was nice to stop for a few minutes and enjoy each other's company. If you haven't tried it in a while, just chill with your familly. It might make your Christmas season a bit brighter--Perhaps because family and love is really what Christmas is all about.

5 comments:

McDonald's Funny Farm said...

Steph,

You are such a real person - no wonder we all love you so much!

I remember those holiday seasons of "joy" when the kids were all young. A hint: about 20 years ago I realized how much of the season I missed trying to get ready for everything. I now do my best to have all the "stuff" done by Thanksgiving (presents wrapped, etc.) so I can actually enjoy the season.

This year has reinforced that concept for us. it has been a challenging week to say the least. I am so grateful that we have been able to ponder the atonement, to appreciate the Savior's birth and to renew our relationships with Heavenly Father.

We love you and all those boys! Even the "part-time jobber" one!

Love, Aunt Janette

Crystal said...

I'm right there with you on the guilt. I feel guilty about everything! It's not a good trait to have sometimes.
It's funny how life is just hard sometimes.
By the way, aren't you the mom that plans fun activities with her boys? (You're too hard on yourself.) :)

InkMom said...

Sigh.

Looking forward to doing just that tomorrow, since I finished the 3rd and 4th gigs of 5 this holiday season today. I had to check on my sleeping kids when I got home tonight because I forgot what they look like.

Thanks for sharing, and reminding.

amydear said...

Well put. Staying home with the fam is always nice.

Unknown said...

Quiet nights (even when not really quiet)but we are all home together really are the best!

Gopher Visitors


Visitor Map